Way of Life Literature
Publisher of Bible Study Materials
Way of Life Literature
Publisher of Bible Study Materials
HOW IMPORTANT IS DOCTRINE?
According to the Word of God, sound doctrine is extremely important.
1. The two Greek words translated “doctrine” in the King James Bible, didaskalia and didache, are also translated “teacheth” (Ro. 12:7) and “learning” (Ro. 15:4). These Greek words are used more than 140 times in the New Testament, which shows how important doctrine is before God.
2. Doctrine and its companion terms are referred to 59 times in 1 and 2 Timothy alone.
3. “The truth” is referred to 10 times in 2 and 3 John alone. The apostle John said, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth” (3 Jn. 4).
4. 1 Timothy 1:3 says that no false doctrine is to be allowed, which is a very narrow view of doctrinal purity.
OTHER BIBLE TERMS THAT REFER TO DOCTRINE
“truth” (1 Ti. 2:4)
“the faith” (1 Ti. 3:9; 2 Ti. 3:8; Tit. 1:13)
“wholesome words” (1 Ti. 6:3)
“sound words” (2 Ti. 1:13).
CAN WE KNOW SOUND DOCTRINE?
In the previous quote by singer Pat Boone, we are told that, “We don’t all have our doctrine all completely correct, but God doesn’t judge us on our understanding of doctrine.” The Lord Jesus Christ, though, said that a believer can know sound doctrine.
1. We know sound doctrine through obedience (Jn. 7:17). If a man is open to the truth and willing to obey God, the Lord will give him wisdom so that he can discern sound doctrine from false. In Proverbs 1:23 God says, “Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.” God has promised to make His truth known to those who repent and submit to Him.
2. We know sound doctrine through continuing in God’s Word (Jn. 8:31-32). In 2 Timothy 2:15 the believer is commanded to rightly divide the Word. This refers to interpreting it properly and knowing its doctrine correctly. Would God require a Christian to rightly divide the Word of truth if He did not intend to give him the ability to do that? This verse indicates that God will hold the Christian accountable for this task, because the one who rightly divides the Word of truth is approved. It is implied that the one who does not rightly divide the truth is disapproved. This means that Pat Boone and other ecumenists are wrong when they say that God does not hold the believer accountable to know sound doctrine.
3. We know sound doctrine through the Holy Spirit. 1 John 2:20-21 says, “But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.” Verse 27 says further, “But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.” Thus the Scriptures plainly state that the believer has the Holy Spirit to teach him and he can know the truth.
If the ecumenical philosophy is correct and a believer cannot be certain of sound doctrine, the commandments and promises of God make no sense.
OTHER BIBLE FACTS ABOUT DOCTRINE
- We are to continue in the apostles’ doctrine (Ac. 2:42).
- The apostles filled Jerusalem with doctrine (Ac. 5:28).
- We are saved by believing the right doctrine (Ro. 6:17; 1 Jn. 5:20; 2 Jn. 9).
- We are to separate from those who teach false doctrine (Ro. 16:17).
- We must be careful of winds of false doctrine (Ep. 4:14).
- No false doctrine is to be allowed (1 Ti. 1:3).
- The preacher is to give himself to doctrine (1 Ti. 4:13).
- The preacher is to take heed to doctrine (1 Ti. 4:16).
- Preachers who labor in doctrine are to be rewarded (1 Ti. 5:17).
- Sound doctrine is to be adorned with godly living (1 Ti. 6:1,3; Tit. 2:1).
- The Bible is given for doctrine (2 Ti. 3:16).
- The Bible is to be preached with doctrine (2 Ti. 4:2).
- The last days is characterized by a turning from sound doctrine (2 Ti. 4:3).
- The preacher must be able to use doctrine to protect the church (Tit. 1:9).
- Our doctrine is to be uncorrupt (Tit. 2:10).
- We abide in Christ by sound doctrine (1 Jn. 2:24-27).
- True Christian love is grounded in truth or sound Bible doctrine (2 Jn. 1; 3 Jn. 1).
- Those who abide not in sound doctrine are not of God and are not be to received (2 Jn. 9-10).
Sharing Policy: Much of our material is available for free, such as the hundreds of articles at the Way of Life web site. Other items we sell to help fund our expensive literature and foreign church planting ministries. Way of Life's content falls into two categories: sharable and non-sharable. Things that we encourage you to share include the audio sermons, O Timothy magazine, FBIS articles, and the free eVideos and free eBooks. You are welcome to make copies of these at your own expense and share them with friends and family. You may also post parts of reports and/or entire reports to websites, blogs, etc as long as you give proper credit (citation). A link to the original report is very much appreciated as the reports are frequently updated and/or expanded. Things we do not want copied and distributed are "Store" items like the Fundamental Baptist Digital Library, print editions of our books, electronic editions of the books that we sell, the videos that we sell, etc. The items have taken years to produce at enormous expense in time and money, and we use the income from sales to help fund the ministry. We trust that your Christian honesty will preserve the integrity of this policy. "For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward" (1 Timothy 5:18). Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
Goal:Distributed by Way of Life Literature Inc., the Fundamental Baptist Information Service is an e-mail posting for Bible-believing Christians. Established in 1974, Way of Life Literature is a fundamental Baptist preaching and publishing ministry based in Bethel Baptist Church, London, Ontario, of which Wilbert Unger is the founding Pastor. Brother Cloud lives in South Asia where he has been a church planting missionary since 1979. Our primary goal with the FBIS is to provide material to assist preachers in the edification and protection of the churches.
Offering: Offerings are welcome if you care to make one. If you have been helped and/or blessed by our material offerings can be mailed or made online with with Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or Paypal. For information see: www.wayoflife.org/about/makeanoffering.html.